To strengthen his arguement, Higgins uses narrative and the perspectives of both residents and the Governer, failing to include the opinions of those that have been deported as a result of unemployment. Mark Sabbatini, an American resident of Svalbard says that he used to live in LA, but he didn't enjoy that much. Sabbatini also says that the largest troublemakers in Svalbard are Polar Bears, which he never worries about. Higgins also says that taxes in Svalbard are the lowest of anywhere in Norway and states that Svalbard was the site of the James Bond movie: "Die Another Day" strengthening the arguement that it is a nice place to live.
My opinions of Svalbard are mixed. A prosperous place with little crime and low taxes sounds like a fantastic place to live, however I strongly believe that this approach should not be used elsewhere. I can't imagine being uprooted from my home simply because I have retired. I find it very interesting that the only real troublemakers in Svalbard are Polar Bears and I wonder if this is actually the case. I also disagree with Svalbard's deviation from Nowrway's "welfare state". I don't believe that anyone should be excluded from a place of living and, although it might be a nice place to live, I disagree with a lot of the policies in place there.
I love how you went into depth about your mixed opinions- it made me think about my own position on this topic. Overall amazing blog!
ReplyDeleteVery nice examples for her crafting tools!!!! What a swell blog!
ReplyDeleteWhat a strong argument you presented! Very robust and controversial idea you have. Like Maxine, you made me think about my perspective on the article. You made me doubt myself for a minute there. I love it! Good job!
ReplyDelete